Egyptian Society - February 22nd, 2050BCE

Remember how I said my mother taught me about how our Society in Egypt is running and how it works? Every time I see her she teaches me more and more. While we talk about it, she has also been teaching me to make things, such as clothes, cleaning cloths and more. 

Anyway (I am being sidetracked), back to the society. I knew most of the basics, but now I know everything in detail. 

The whole universe is ruled by our Pharaoh, who is currently Mentuhopet of Thebes. Nobody calls the pharaoh by his real name, though. It would be very disrespectful. Instead we call him Pharaoh, meaning Great House. She says that he demands very high taxes, which is unlucky for everyone. The Pharaoh is the son of Re, the sun god, who rises every morning to watch over us. Because of this, he has very big responsibilities. He has to make sure that there was enough food and water for everyone, that the gods look kindly upon all of the people, that the country can defend themselves against anyone, truth (ma'at) was worshipped by everyone, and much more which even my mum wouldn't know!


The reason that ma'at is such a great god is because he is everything our society is about. He means justice, truth, order and balance. I think that he is why our society is the way it is, and he keeps it balanced and functioning. If we do not obey everything he says, we will not have an afterlife. (or just have extremely bad luck, and not be happy there). He is so great because he is the reason that I was born free, and why my parents can be let go from slavery once they pay back the government.

Another great thing is that men and women are equal in most things. Both men and women can own land and property, and sell it. They can both decide to have a divorce, and if they do, the man still has to provide for his ex wife (score!).  The people underneath the gods and Pharaoh is the Priests, Army, Scribes, Public Service Senior Officials, and then there are Slaves and Public Service Junior Officials. 

So basically, from what my mother told me, Pharaoh controls everything in Egypt and keeps everything going well, but everything he does must be approved by the gods.

I am learning a lot from my mum, I guess you can learn a lot from living in a palace! 

Asenath