Greetings - January 21st, 2050BC


Hello everyone. Well, I guess I should start off by introducing myself. My name is Asenath, daughter of Aapep. I am 13 years old. I am living in Egypt, and it is the year 2050 BCE - Middle Kingdom.

My parents are both slaves to the Egyptian Pharaoh, Mentuhotep of Thebes. My fathers father stole something from the Pharaohs temple (no one will tell me what, hmmph) and so my dad had to become a slave, too, because there was no one around to look after him - he has been a slave most of his life. And the only way my mother could marry my dad is if she became a slave too. I have no idea why she did, though. I would never want to be a slave though, not even for that. She said I would understand in a year or two, yuuuck.


Because both my parents are slaves, I have to take care of my younger brother, Amun all the time. My parents cannot teach me anything about becoming an adult in the daytime, so once a week on their day off, I have to sneak into the palace with Amun at nighttime and my mother teaches me about many things. Sometimes it's cooking, sometimes cleaning, but most of the time maths and religion. She has taught me about many gods who will always look after me while I am out on my own, and special god for women. One god is called Bastet for protection. My mother said that Bastet will also guide me in the future, ready to have a family. Bastet has the head of a cat. I am sometimes scared about sneaking into the palace at night, wondering whether or not it is good of me and if the gods will be unhappy about this, but mother says that I have too, and I guess she is right.

Where do I live? Well, me and Amun live in a small house my father used to live in with his father before, well, they became slaves. It is a small mud house in the forest right near the Nile River, so I can easily sneak down and get enough water to last us at about a week at a time. People have seen the house and know I am there, but they do not really seem to mind much. I am glad about that.

Well, there you have it - thats a bit more about me. I have to go, Amun is crying. Again.

Asenath